Beets mainly consist of water (87%), carbs (8%), and fiber (2–3%).
One cup (136 grams) of boiled beetroot contains fewer than 60 calories, while 3/4 cup (100 grams) of raw beets boasts the following nutrients.
- Calories: 43
- Water: 88%
- Protein: 1.6 grams
- Carbs: 9.6 grams
- Sugar: 6.8 grams
- Fiber: 2.8 grams
- Fat: 0.2 grams
Raw or cooked beetroot offers about 8–10% carbs.
Simple sugars — such as glucose and fructose — make up 70% and 80% of the carbs in raw and cooked beetroots, respectively.
Beetroots are also a source of frutans — short-chain carbs classified as FODMAPs. Some people cannot digest FODMAPs causing unpleasant digestive symptoms.
Beetroots have a glycemic index (GI) score of 61, which is considered medium. The GI is a measure of how fast blood sugar levels rise after a meal
On the other hand, the glycemic load of beetroots is only 5, which is very low.
This means that beetroots should not have a major effect on blood sugar levels because the total carb amount in each serving is low.
Beetroots are high in fiber, providing about 2–3 grams in each 3/4-cup (100-gram) raw serving. Fiber is important as part of a healthy diet and linked to a reduced risk of various diseases
Beetroots are a great source of many essential vitamins and minerals.
- Folate (vitamin B9). One of the B vitamins, folate is important for normal tissue growth and cell function.
- Manganese. An essential trace element, manganese is found in high amounts in whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables.
- Potassium. A diet high in potassium can lead to reduced blood pressure levels and positive effects on heart health
- Iron. An essential mineral, iron has many important functions in your body. It’s necessary for the transport of oxygen in red blood cells.
- Vitamin C. This well-known vitamin is an antioxidant that is important for immune function and skin health
Looking for a perfect companion for your daily lifestyle? Check out Vahana Health now and be Healthy today! Find out more: https://vahanahealth.com/products/caffeine-free-latte